Sunday 9 June 2013

Profile: Cherry Styles



 
I am an artist based in Manchester. 


My art practice is multi-disciplinary, the processes I use are often experimental and I see much of it as ongoing work.  I make a lot of my photo/collage work into zines and recently I have been using enamel paints on large scale black and white print outs. I have also recently put together a photo book of work from 2009-2011 and am currently making a book of photographs of my friend Christa Harris taken over the last 8 years.  Keep an eye on my blog for details of both and how to get your hands on them!

·         I co-run The Chapess zine with Zara Gardner. We are now taking submissions (deadline is July 31st) for our next issue which is all about inspirational women!
·         I run Synchronise Witches which so far has only released a few small runs of zines, but I’m hoping to eventually use it as a platform to release other peoples’ work too.
·         I have run workshops and classes in schools and colleges. Through my work with young people, girls in particular I have seen first hand the effect a lack of positive female role models has on many girls’ self esteem, which is totally one of the reasons i make work. I love zines because anyone can make them and share their ideas.

Identifying as a feminist helped me identify as an individual, and gave me a certain confidence in my work. It’s important to remember that without the women's movement very little of what we all do now would be seen as ’art’ - which is why it seems so crazy that a lot of people still seem to struggle with the label ’feminist.’ Do you think men and women deserve equal rights? Great, then you’re a feminist!


 


No comments:

Post a Comment