Wednesday 9 October 2013

Profile: Elizabeth Mizon

 




Lives in: Bristol, UK.

Contact:
emizon@ymail.com

Create: I am currently making my first documentary feature about the political economy of the media. We're taking an in-depth look at the history and the inner dynamics of the industry to illustrate that the UK (and global) media's failings are not the result of an accidental decline in previously upheld standards, but the logical outcome of the densely capitalist industrial model that it is built upon. If that sounds quite heavy, then good! It's a big topic, but film is an effective medium for explanation and engagement.

Other creative stuff:
I blog about once a month, mainly on media representation; though I have occasionally veered from this topic, that's the current vein. However, my next few articles that I have mapped will certainly break from this subject, as I want to make a conscious effort to expand my output to cover the other aspects of communication and industry that I am rapidly learning more about.

I also write feminist film reviews for The Vagenda, and post to the community blog on feministing.com, and I have my eye on writing for a favourite site, Cracked...it's relatively mainstream and on a tangent to my usual style so that's still in the pipeline, if they'll have me.

I am the only current female member of the Bristol Radical Film Festival team, and I also volunteer at the amazing Cube Cinema; an entirely voluntary-run, horizontally integrated cinema and arts hub in Bristol city centre. Also, I love taking pictures, and I'm almost great at it now.

One thing I love about Feminism is... Feminism is about agency, and as agents of their own self-expression, people will define themselves in wildly different ways under the same/different labels. I love movement towards gaining better understanding, making connections with other people, and preventing injustice and suffering. I reckon feminism is one of those movements, and feminists are the people who act to make it happen. I love feminists who will promote feminism in the face of opposition, from ridicule to violence.

@elizabethethird

No comments:

Post a Comment