Monday 13 May 2013

Profile: Sophie Barras (Pyklops)


 




Lives in: Cardiff, Wales (originally Birmingham)

Create: Over the past 2-3 years I have been working on creative projects in a wide range of mediums, sizes and shapes. I paint and draw mainly female characters, mainly depicting my moods, inspired by music and my environment. My photography and films are mainly documentary based, and I like to shoot with both medium format and 35mm film.

I'm one of 5 partners who run a Community Print Workshop, 'The Printhaus' in Cardiff and have worked over the past 2 years taking photos and painting with Best Joined Up, a live art collective based in the North West, as well as documenting the the filming process of music videos and short films, as well as my own production
Other creative stuff: I've designed and printed a series of garments, for a sponsored bike ride across Cuba, to raise money for the Women's Workshop in Cardiff.

I mix up my logical and creative self by undertaking a mixture of roles throughout the week, as I'm also an IT consultant and a single mum, to my 16 year old daughter. Many of the things I create or depict have her in mind, as I am keen to show her and her friends a positive approach to life, to encourage others to keep trying new things, learning and not to be restrained by the world, it's pressures or negativity.

 Feminism: I've always been inspired by strong women and resisted the demands to go down the 'good little girl' route. I got absorbed into the early years of hip hop, and later, soul artists. Surrounded by a strong female message has helped me through raising a child alone in my early 20's. The Cuba bike ride is my chance to pay back my gratitude to a tireless group of women, who have worked to help give women like my self the chance to earn a decent living and have faith in themselves. Everyday feminists help the world to inch forward, no matter if their message is quiet encouragement or rooftop wailing..









No comments:

Post a Comment