Monday 5 August 2013

Profile: Sian Norris



Lives in: Bristol 

Create: Ever since I can remember, I have written. As a child I wrote stories, odd fairy tales and then moved on to angsty poetry. As a student I mixed political and creative writing in my zine, Crooked Rib, which evolved into my blog:


In 2011, I self-published an anthology that brought together women's and men's experiences of becoming a feminist. The Light Bulb Moment is available to buy here:  http://www.lulu.com/shop/sian-norris/the-light-bulb-moment-the-stories-of-why-we-are-feminists/paperback/product-18726169.html  and brings together funny, painful, inspiring and poetic narratives of our feminist lives. 

In 2013, my first novel, 'Greta and Boris: a daring rescue' was published by Our Street Books. A book aimed at children and adults from 7+, it tells the story of Greta as she goes on a magical adventure to rescue Boris, her cat, from the Rat King. 

I'm now working on my second novel and laying plans for the third. 

As well as fiction, I do feminism - and write about it. I've published articles on feminism in the Guardian, Liberal Conspiracy and The F Word. For six years I coordinated the Bristol Feminist Network - organising marches, demos, petitions, gigs, film nights, panels and discussion groups. In 2013 I founded and organised the first ever Bristol Women's Literature Festival - an event that will continue to grow and flourish (I hope) for years to come. 



No comments:

Post a Comment