Monday 15 April 2013

Profile: Polly Thompson-Wilde


Polly Thompson-Wilde


Lives in: Bristol, UK

Create: I am a singer, I sometimes write songs. My songs often present an obsession with the sea and the female body, I have always felt as thought I was meant to be a mermaid and maybe my songs channel this. I work a lot with harmony singing and try to challenge my self and push expectations. I think the power of the unaccompanied female voice cannot often be rivalled for silencing a room. I am in the band In The Milkwood and I sing with And Then We Danced company. I also lead The Undergrowth Choir, although not right at the moment. 

Other stuff I do: Baking. I sometimes have trouble feeling like a housewife when I stand with baby in one hand a whisk in the other, baking cookies for my lovely partner, but it's what I love best! My flapjack has been known, on occasion, to make people swoon!

I am known to go on rampage with paint and canvas!

I am a new mum and feel like motherhood is one of the most creative times of my life.

Feminism: I have difficult relationship with labels and boxes and so the word Feminism gets confusing, it gets interpreted differently by everyone and can get pretty loaded. I prefer to think of it terms of gender equality and negoitiating what that means for each situation. I am interested how I will approach ideas of Feminism, equality and  gender with my son when he starts talking and noticing 'differences'.

I love to collaborate. Feel free to get in touch.


In the Milkwood







p.thompson-wilde@hotmail.co.uk

soundcloud.com/inthemilkwood

No comments:

Post a Comment