Sunday 14 April 2013

Profile: Aisling Efthimiou


Lives in: Manchester

CreateI love writing but have never written in blog form at all, but more poetry. I am often found debating with friends and course mates about issues such as above, morality, how sex comes into play in a world not only where men continue to seek to undermine women through more subtle forms of sexism but there are also men who have been brought up with feminism. I have many thoughts so I would love to write some blog articles about issues and also put out some more abstract prose or poetry.




Other creative stuff:  I do life drawing whenever I can too. I used to be in a local band in Manchester as a singer but I realised I couldn't sing but only write song lyrics, which is sad. I love art and reading.

One thing I love about Feminism is... the ability to shift and adapt. Gender equality is one of the things I am passionate about, and I am especially concerned with future of feminism in the aftermath of the initial wave of feminism during the mid 20th century. Nowadays sexism seems to still exist but in more subtle forms in our culture, in the education system. Focusing on what women have done and do, what challenges they face, the pursuit of perfection in every aspect of life whilst propelling themselves forward to achieve more, to be worthy of being equals with men, these are some of the issues that must be discussed. Not to mention the role of men in feminism - I think that women need be constantly conversing with men their ideas on feminism so that it can have a stable, permenant place in our future. A rise in men participating in feminism seems sore at times but this is what is needed for an equal world.


No comments:

Post a Comment